Foraged Father’s Day Guide
Father’s Day is just around the corner, and Foraged has a carefully curated list of ideas to celebrate the father figure in your life. From the grill to the garden to the great outdoors, there’s lots of room for fun this weekend! Read on to learn more about our Father’s Day favorites, and get ideas for your weekend meals and activities.
For the Foodie Father
We love the versatility of mushrooms for all kinds of culinary creations. Morels are a smoky, earthy treat ready to step up the flavor profile of any dish. Chicken of the woods are well-named for their chicken-like texture, and great fried, pickled, or sauteed. Lobster mushrooms are a delicate, beautiful fungus ready for a starring role in your favorite seafood recipe. Oyster mushrooms are ready to give a meaty boost to any dish you can imagine. The possibilities are truly endless!
Does your dad love to grill? Maybe your grandfather loves to try new vegetarian recipes. With the wide variety of mushrooms and products found in our marketplace, we’ve got options for your favorite foodies.
- Try this rich mushroom bread pudding recipe for brunch. You can substitute fresh oyster mushrooms in for button mushrooms. Or check out this tasty crustless quiche recipe, perfect for seasonal ramps and morels. You’ll have the tastiest brunch on the block!
- For the grilling fan, throw some whole oyster mushroom on the grill! These meaty mushrooms make an excellent entrée. Or, as a side, add smaller mushroom pieces into a grill pan. We love shiitakes or porcini. Grilled mushrooms also make an excellent side dish for a steak, which pairs perfectly with the Heavenly Spread from Fat Caps Fungi (a thick, savory sauce) in our marketplace.
- Need more options? Try this Lion’s Mane Crab Cake recipe for a decadent vegetarian delight. Cooking for a carnivore? The Heavenly Sauce from Fat Caps Fungi is great added to your favorite meatloaf or burger mix.
For the Health Conscious Hero
We also love mushrooms for their many health properties, and we bet Dad will too! Adding mushrooms into your diet (or substituting them for meat) is a great way to lower your calorie and fat intake while adding filling protein, along with fiber and a variety of vitamins and other nutrients, to your meal. And we bet the healthy snacker in your life will love trying out the many flavors of mushroom jerky in our shop, from Sweet Balsamic and Fig to a Zesty Thai.
You’ll also find mushroom teas, tinctures, and supplements in the Foraged marketplace, perfect for the up and coming health-guru-guy in your life. Read on to find the best choice based on your special guy’s health preferences, and to learn about the myriad health benefits you’ll find in different mushroom species. (Note: as with all products used for health benefits, you should check with your health care provider before adding any new supplements.)
- Check out our blog to learn more about the health benefits of Reishi mushrooms. Reishi provides a boost for his immune system. You can find them in tinctures and tasty teas, perfect to share with Pop! You can also check out our video on making your own tea here.
- Lion’s mane mushrooms are great for brain health. You’ll find this mushroom in powder, capsule, and tincture form on Foraged.
- Cordyceps are wonderful for managing blood sugar levels. Find them in the tinctures section of the shop.
- Chaga, long-used in traditional Chinese and Russian medicine, is full of antioxidant power. We’ve got it in teas, tinctures, and capsules.
- Turkey tail mushrooms can help to reduce inflammation and improve immune system functioning. Try a yummy tea or tincture to experience this mushroom’s amazing health powers and add some honey as an added natural sweetener to please your taste buds.
- If those options weren’t enough, you’ll find plenty more in the marketplace. Oyster and shiitake mushroom capsules, maitake tinctures, and custom tea blends await you!
For the Gardening Guy
Is your father a grower, a cultivator, or a farmer in the making? If he’s a fan of rolling up his sleeves and getting some dirt under his nails, we’ve got the perfect gift ideas for him. Added bonus: you or your little ones can help! What better gift than extra quality time spent with your honorary guy?
We’ve talked about a ton of mushrooms in our gift guide so far, but did you know you can also find mushroom grow kits in our marketplace? Even if Dad doesn’t have the greenest thumb, we’ve got easy-to-use, fun-to-grow, and tasty-to-eat options for you to check out. You can even find some of the mushrooms we mentioned in the recipes above!
- Oyster mushroom grow kits are the perfect starter kit for someone who wants to try growing their own mushrooms for the first time! Our kits come in a variety of sizes, but all are simple to use! You’ll find easy instructions from our knowledgeable sellers. These low-maintenance kits will produce fresh mushrooms in as little as five days, and can last several months for extended growing time (and fun)! These kits will yield super-versatile, delicious oyster mushrooms for you to use in all your culinary adventures!
- Looking for a mushroom with a little more pizzazz? We’ve also got Lion’s Mane mushroom grow kits! These kits come with helpful instructions and are also easy to use, while yielding a more attention-getting mushroom. You’ll have fun with seafood-esque recipes, like the crab cakes above, or a simple saute with butter and garlic.
- What happens when you’re done with your grow kit? Don’t throw it away! If Dad has a garden, he can put an oyster mushroom grow kit in the garden after it’s done growing! Spent grow blocks are an awesome way to inoculate your garden. Simply place some straw down and mix the spent block into the straw. Hardwood mulch is also a great substrate to use in your garden for growing mushrooms. Water it daily, and in a couple of weeks you should have a nice cluster of oyster mushrooms! Check out this link from North Spore to learn more.
For the Outdoor Connoisseur
Maybe your family simply loves getting out and exploring the great outdoors. Spending time in nature can be a great way to unwind and disconnect after a busy week. Whether it’s your own backyard, or a local park, there are so many ways to connect with nature – and celebrate Dad’s special day. We’ve got some fun ideas that won’t cost you a penny.
- Explore your local forest or wooded area for…you guessed it…mushrooms! While you should not eat or pick mushrooms unless you are an experienced forager, we’re sure you can find, research, and photograph some beautiful varieties in the wilderness right now. Currently active species include oyster mushrooms, chanterelles, milk caps, and chicken of the woods. If you are new to foraging, you may find local organizations that host events to teach you about the many mushrooms and other wild plants awaiting you. If you are an experienced forager, dig in! Head on out and see what the hunt will bring you. Either way, you’re sure to have a great time accompanying Dad in the wild.
- Check out a local, state, or national park. Maybe Yosemite isn’t in your backyard, but we bet you’re closer to nature than you think! Is it a local park you visit regularly? Take time to notice the things you don’t usually see – what flowers are blooming? What birds are in the sky? What insects are crawling on the ground? Have you seen those trees before? How do they change throughout the year? All of these thoughtful questions will help you re-engage with nature and add to quality time with your family.
- Have a body of water nearby? Check that out too! Is there a local lake with beautiful embankments for you to explore? A gorgeous beach where you can watch the waves and feel the sand between your toes? Do you have a boat, kayak, or canoe stashed away, waiting for summer to arrive? Maybe you have a four-legged friend who would love to splash around. There may be a tranquil creek close to your house, ready to add a healthy dose of zen to your life. You’ll come back refreshed and relaxed.
We hope you enjoyed our guide full of ideas on making the most of Father’s Day with the #1 dad in your life. Whether it’s a meal, a gift, or an outdoor experience, what matters most is spending time with those you love, and showing your appreciation for them. Be sure to share your photos or videos of this special day on social media and tag us in your favorite Foraged Father’s Day moment!