Pawpaw Spice Cake
It’s not a pawpaw party without a pawpaw cake! This spice cake is an original recipe featured in The Joy of Pawpaw Cookbook
PAWPAW SPICE CAKE
Pawpaws have their own unique flavor, but they’re a little bit mango, a little bit banana, and a little bit créme brulée! Pawaw’s tropical flavors make an ideal pairing for classic spice cakes. And speaking of spice – this recipe uses spicebush (Lindera benzoin) to achieve those wonderful warm flavors we love in the fall.
Want to know more about pawpaws? Explore below!
Looking for a frosting for the cake? Check out the recipe for Pawpaw Cream Cheese Frosting!
Pawpaw Spice Cake
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground spicebush
- 3 cups pawpaw pulp
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- 2. Grease on 13x9 inch pan or two 8-inch round cake pans.
- 3. In a large bowl, beat softened butter for 30 seconds with mixer.
- 4. Gradually add the sugars.
- 5. Mix for three minutes.
- 6. Add eggs and blend for a few more minutes until the mixture lightens in color.
- 7. In a second large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, and spices.
- 8. In a third bowl, stir together the pawpaw pulp, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- 9. Alternate mixing the dry and wet ingredients into the butter mixture. [start and end with the dry ingredients]
- 10. Stir in the nuts and raisins.
- 11. Spread evenly into pan(s)
- 12. Bake in round pans for 25 minutes, a rectangular pan for 40-45 minutes.
- 13. Frost with pawpaw cream cheese frosting