1. Mix the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla.
2. Sift together the powdered sugar and spice.
3. Alternate mixing the sugar mixture and pawpaw pulp into the butter mixture.
4. Adjust the amount of sugar for desired consistency.
5. Spread onto cake(s) after they are fully cooled.
This recipe originally appeared in The Joy of Pawpaw Cookbook to spread on a Pawpaw Spice Cake! A couple of things to note: while you can use a frozen pawpaw pulp in this recipe throughout the year, we really recommend using the fresh fruit when they’re in season. This recipe also calls for spicebush (Lindera benzoin), one of our favorite wild spices. If you don’t have them on hand, feel free to use allspice instead! Learn about Pawpaws